zaterdag 22 februari 2014

Day 20 - the vegucated challenge

You are fine finding your milk, butter, cream and yoghurt replacements at your local supermarket. Vegan egg-replacements, meat replacements, gelatine, mayonnaise and even cheeses are a bit more rare. So I did some shopping online and will soon be able to make pretty much everything.

I have a confession to make. I almost ate the entire vegan sausage that came in delivery today. I feel a little sick now. It just tasted like real sausage and I have to admit I love the taste of meat so there I went... 1 million calories. Interested in doing your own vegan shopping? Check out this website.

Breakfast
OK, so there is one thing I can get for breakfast in the station which is also vegan. Ontbijtkoek. Google translate tells me that that's called gingerbread in English but I'm not sure if it's the same thing. 
In Holland it's marketed as one of the healthiest snacks and with less than 2% fat. What they don't tell you is that it contains more than 40% sugar. I was a little bit upset reading that on the ingredients. It's probably best to eat more things that simply are an ingredient on itself.


Lunch

I got a few jealous looks towards my lunch again today. Leftover pearl couscous with half a avocado. Yum. A little disappointing though that a colleague told me that pearl couscous is basically pasta and therefore not the healthiest choice you can make. It's more expensive than normal couscous again so I'm not buying that again. It's also always a little static in the bag - that can't be natural?

Dinner

Remember that day my brother and sister and me went to this vegan-in-house restaurant in Utrecht? The girl that cooked for us that night now also sells a few dishes on thuisafgehaald.nl. I ordered the vegan burgers with home made vegan mayo. As I just ate pretty much the entire vegan sausage I decided half of each burger (1 spinach, 1 sesame-lentil) would be enough with some sliced tomatoes and of course the mayo. They were really nice!


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten