zondag 23 februari 2014

Day 21 - the vegucated challenge

''A bee isn't even an animal'' - a colleague. I'm pretty sure a bee isn't a plant though. People are often surprised when they find out vegans don't eat honey. Don't they make honey anyway? Who cares about a bee? I myself was a little gutted to find out that the delicious treat comes from an industry that is often very cruel to bees. I've been googeling and found that I was OK with removing honey from my diet.

The fact that honey isn't vegan is quite simple to explain, honey is a product made by animals (bees) and is made to consume by bees themselves. An interesting fact: A single worker bee produces only 1/12th of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime. Working cooperatively, thousands of worker bees can produce over 200 pounds of honey for the colony within a year. Unfortunately it sometimes happens that the bees are smoked out or are burned alive so the bee-keeper gets access to the honey. I also read that sometimes the bee-keeper sets them on fire as they can be expensive to keep during the winter. And the most obvious argument is of course that the honey belongs to the bees. Why bother them when we have agave nectar or maple syrup that is a perfect replacement. Find more reasons to stop eating honey here.
Breakfast
I had breakfast in the train today. A green tea on the go with a banana and round-shaped carrots. I wish the shop just sold carrots. I bet they had to throw away a lot of the carrot to leave little perfect balls.  
Lunch
It was deep-fry Friday lunch at work again. Not for me! There were chicken-spring-rolls on the menu for everyone else but I brought my own lunch. I still had couscous with fennel and pomegranate leftovers and two halves of the vegan burgers I ordered from thuisafgehaald.nl. I had some couscous salad from the office with that.

Dinner

My boyfriend was so proud of his curry-skills that he made another one. He used the same recipe as before but swapped the vegetables for carrot, aubergine and mushrooms. Oh, it was so delicious! Also we're not a big fan of tofu so we keep that out. The base recipe you can find here. Make sure to check if your curry paste is vegan! They often contain shrimp extract.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten