zondag 9 februari 2014

Day 8 - the vegucated challenge

This was my planned in - cheat day. Today we had dinner at Da Rosa, an in-house vegan Italian restaurant in Utrecht. A very unique concept where you eat at the chef's house. To celebrate my brother's birthday (from months ago) my sister and me treated him on a nice dinner here. 

Brunch
It was Saturday and I slept until 11. Mmmmm. I knew I was going to have a massive dinner so I decided to have brunch with only a smoothie. I blended an avocado, a handful of spinach, flaxseeds and a banana with a dash of almond milk. This was plenty for two big glasses. And it looks so pretty green and healthy.


Running
Today's my second day of running, it was my second class with the Belgium coach called Evy. She's my virtual motivator and she's doing a great job putting on motivating tunes on for me. I'm also really getting to know the neighbourhood.

Dinner
Rosa is an Italian girl who lives in Utrecht and has been vegan for 9 years. She's not a professional chef but has gained so much experience I am happy to call her a chef. She served the most posh vegan food I've seen. Normally vegan diners are very low key, but she really dressed up our table nicely. Plus no graffiti on the walls was a nice change for a vegan restaurant.
She has a story with all the dishes - and I might have mixed up a few details, but here it goes.

We started with sundried tomatoes (from her region in Italy) and some nice black olives. She also made her own bread with lots of herbs which was lovely. I'm sorry I can't give you any recipes, but I believe she'd be happy to teach you herself as she also gives cooking workshops.
It was served with a Sicilian white wine.


My sister got a different starter
 than us, as we could choose from a menu beforehand. She ordered the Parmigiana with home made vegan-ricotta, my brother and I both had a try and it was just delicious! The ricotta tasted exactly as the non-vegan one. Really impressive. And it got topped off with some lovely basil.
My brother and me went for the Home made spinach gnocchi (your choice) with vegan ragu, which was just as good. Who thought spinach gnocchi could be so exciting?



For mains we had Polpette (I had never heard of it either). It were lentil balls with sesame seeds on a bed of carrots. We also received a beetroot carpaccio and a delicious platter of roasted vegetables.


I'm afraid I didn't make a picture of every single dish - they really just kept coming!

And for the real cheating part of my day we ended with tiramisu. It was just heaven in a jar. I can't believe it's vegan. It was probably the best tiramisu I ever head.

We also received Italian limoncello and espresso to close off the mail.

Interested in having dinner at Da Rosa or having a vegan workshop in making your own ricotta/tiramisu? You can find her Facebook page here.

Going out
Ok so I was a little worried now I lost 1 kg to instantly gain 5 so instead of having wine all night in the club, I went for a shot of wodka. It was like drinking nail varnish remover, really bad. But with water the rest of the night and dancing like I champ I hopefully burned off that delicious tiramisu!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten