maandag 3 februari 2014

Day 3 - the vegucated challenge

Today was my Monday off from work so I had lots of time to cook. When I'm typing this it's 22:40 in the evening and normally I can't wait to get some sleep. Not today! I have more energy then ever. I really hope this is the effect of my new diet!

One all this energy I have got a lot of stuff done that has been on my to do list for a while. It may be the diet, it might be the B12 supplement I had this morning, I don't know what it is but I have more energy then ever!

Breakfast
Not very exciting - I had oatmeal with cinnamon again, only this time I added sliced banana. Yum!


Lunch
My mum was so sweet to buy me and my brother a little vegan cookbook - and today I have tried a lovely recipe of spicy courgette soup with rice (only I used bulgar instead of rice to empty my cabinet).
I admit the picture doesn't look too appetizing, but I promise it's a nice soup!


The recipe in a nutshell: 
What you need:

  • 4 toes of garlic
  • olive oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 courgettes
  • 1.5 vegan stock
  • handful of coriander
  • juice of 1 lime


Fry 4 toes of garlic for a minute or two in olive oil, then add a tablespoon of cumin and a tablespoon of chilli powder. Now add two chopped and washed courgettes and the rice and fry a little longer.Add salt and pepper. Add 1.5 litres of vegan stock and a small handful of coriander. Cook until the rice is soft and serve with a splash of lime juice.

I have enough for a few bowls, so that will be my lunch tomorrow. It's a real savoury treat.


Dinner
The same recipe book had a delicious looking meal: potatoes and broccoli in a peanut-cream sauce. Oh my god who would have thought to find such an amazing dish within the vegan diet!

Reading the recipe though I realised it didn't sound very healthy so I gave my own spin to it.

What you need:
450g potatoes - sliced (I used the healthier option sweet potatoes)
olive oil
small onion (because I had shallots in house I used a shallot)
400ml coconut milk
8 spoons of peanut butter with crunch (I personally thought 4 was enough)
1 spoon of soy sauce
2 teaspoons of sugar (I left this out)
1/2 teaspoon of chilli flakes
200g of broccoli (I doubled this ingredient)
60g of unsalted peanuts (I thought just a few would do)
salt and pepper
2 teaspoons of melted soy butter (I left this out)


Heat the oven on 190 degrees and fill a pan with water. Add the potatoes and a pinch of salt. In the mean while cut and wash the broccoli into edible chunks. After the sweet potato has cooked for 5 minutes, add the broccoli.
In the mean while,cut and fry the onion in some olive oil, after two minutes add the coconut milk, peanut butter, soy sauce, chilli flakes, sugar and peanuts. 
The broccoli will float in the water, spoon it out and drain it, then toss it trough the creamy peanut sauce. Put the broccoli-peanut mix in an oven dish and top if off with the drained potato. The idea is to pour the melted soy butter on top, but I personally thought the dish was fatty enough. Add some pepper on top. It goes in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

It's a real feast and I will definitely make this again, also I have enough for a few lunches and dinners.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten