maandag 3 februari 2014

Day 1 - the vegucated challenge

My boyfriend borrowed a juicer from a friend to do a 10-day juice detox. Believe it or not, this was also inspired by a documentary on Netflix: 'Fat, sick and nearly dead'. If you're starting to feel I am here to promote Netflix - I really have no shares in this company.
I thought it was going to be tough for me, now I see what he will be eating (juice and water) I feel pretty confident about my own challenge.

Weight
In the morning I jumped on the scale - 61 kg (134 pounds). Not morbidly obese, but still the heaviest I have ever been, I really hope this month will drop me below 60 again. As confronting as it is, I asked my boyfriend to make a picture of me to inspire me to eat better, to exercise and to see the results after this 30 day challenge. I realise if I really want to see some change I should start to exercise. Here go the squats, crunches and jumping jacks!




Breakfast
Started the day extremely healthy trying out the juicer for the first time. In went: green apples, celery, lemon and cucumber. I also tried flax seeds but they went straight to the bottom of the glass. Also kale wasn't a success, maybe next time I'll put tit in the blender. Nevertheless, a great start of the day.

Lunch
Lunch was amazing! I had lunch with a friend at Bagels and Beans and as far as I could find out on fora the bagels are vegan (no milk!). I ordered one with hummus, avocado, tomato, cucumber and lettuce. Oh! Delicious! With some a pomegranate tea on the side.
- The best part is, normally I would have had a cream cheese bagel, a chai latte for a drink and maybe even shared a cake with my friend for 'dessert'. Just because now they didn't fall within my rules any more, I didn't have the roughly 500-750 calories I normally would have had.


Snack
Today I also found out that I can not only have ready salted crisps, but cassava crisps are absolutely guilt free too! (Not calorie-wise, but you know what I mean)

Dinner
So my first day of being a vegan I did what any mean person would do - I let someone else cook for me!
I had a lovely dinner at my colleague's place and had 2 courses.
For starters she had Turkish flat bread with 2 vegan dips - guacamole and a paste of tomato and basil - yum!

For the main course, while everyone else was having a salmon lasagne, she cooked me a couscous with cherry tomatoes, rocket, lemon and pine nuts. What a great vegan dinner - thanks Laura!

With keeping in mind that I am trying to loose a little weight, it was great that dessert contained butter and milk so just a cuppa tea for me! :-) Having a good reason to say no is a lot easier than just cutting down.

Inspiration
On me and my brother's advice my sister watched the documentary 'Forks over Knives' and says to be inspired to eat lots more vegan dinner and cut meat down to a minimum, plus her other half is in too!
Kim made her first tofu pie ever yesterday.










Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten